Cry, the Beloved Country

Another year, another trip full of new experience, encounters, and respectful learning. As usual I haven't had much time literarly till the point of departure to learn more details about our journey, apart from booking accommodation and hiring a car and plane tickets. The only thing I wanted and almost managed to do was to read a book about apartheid and get a feeling of the country and its folk we are going to visit. I do recommend this book to you all regardless your travel plans, it is simply a must and pleasure to read.

This year is also special because a lot of information (mostly not very positive) was coming our way and we were feeling a bit more insecurity also because this is our first visit to the African continent. I'm not counting Egypt as it cannot be considered real Africa. Luckily, my colleague Honza was willing to share his rich and overly positive experience with South Africa and gave us many valuable pieces of advice. I think I am ready and I am looking forward to what is awaiting us.

I had one more heartwarming experience as a part of my journey preparation. Out of habbit and possible superstition I almost always go shopping to HUDY (Czech outdoor chain shop) before our departure to buy something useful for our travels and this year was no exception. My plan was to buy a winter vest and some tracking pants and despite all obstacles I was successful. Firstly, a winter vest is considered a seasonal apparel even in such a shop as HUDY. I didn't expect that because this shop is visited by climbers, skiers, adventures of any kind. Luckily one out of the two boxed vests fit me well and so did the pants. One of the shop assisstants recognized me as someone he remembers from the Good Tearoom and tried to diffuse my worries of high criminality in South Africa by telling myehe could see a good karma there. OK then, let's put my karma to yet another test. Let the journey begin.

Comments